SFP transceiver is also called photoelectric converter, which is an Ethernet transmission media conversion unit that interchanges short-distance twisted pair electrical signals and long-distance optical signals.
The different viewing angles make people have different understandings of SFP transceiver:
For example, according to the transmission rate, it is divided into single 10M, 100M SFP transceiver, 10/100M self-adaptive SFP transceiver and 1000M SFP transceiver;
According to the working mode, it is divided into SFP transceiver working on the physical layer and SFP transceiver working on the data link layer;
From a structural point of view, it is divided into desktop (stand alone type) SFP transceiver and rack-mounted SFP transceiver;
According to the different access optical fibers, there are two names: multi-mode SFP transceiver and single-mode SFP transceiver.
In addition, there are single-fiber SFP transceiver and dual-fiber SFP transceiver, built-in power SFP transceiver and external power SFP transceiver, as well as managed SFP transceiver and unmanaged SFP transceiver.
SFP transceivers break the 100-meter limitation of Ethernet cables in data transmission. Relying on high-performance switching chips and large-capacity buffers, while truly achieving non-blocking transmission and switching performance, they also provide functions such as balanced traffic, isolation of conflicts and error detection so as to ensure high security and stability during data transmission.
In essence, the SFP transceiver only completes the data conversion between different media, which can realize the connection between two switches or computers within 0 to 120Km, but the actual application has more expansion.
1. Realize the interconnection between switches.
2. Realize the interconnection between the switch and the computer.
3. Realize the interconnection between computers.
4. Transmission relay: When the actual transmission distance exceeds the nominal transmission distance of the transceiver, especially when the actual transmission distance exceeds 120Km, if the site conditions permit, use 2 transceivers for back-to-back relay or use optical-to-optical converters for relaying, which is a very cost-effective solution.
5. Single-multimode conversion: When the single-multimode fiber connection is needed between networks, a single-multimode converter can be used to connect, which solves the problem of single-multimode fiber conversion.
6. Wavelength division multiplexing transmission: When the long-distance optical cable resources are insufficient, in order to increase the utilization rate of the optical cable and reduce the cost, the transceiver and the wavelength division multiplexer can be used together to transmit the two channels of information on the same pair of optical fibers.